The European Sustainable Wines campaign will promote wines with Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) in various Asian markets and emphasise the concept of sustainability.
This project was born from the joint work of the Italian consortia Consorzio Tutela Vini d’Abruzzo and Consorzio Barbera d’Asti e Vini del Monferrato, together with the Regulatory Board of the La Mancha Designation of Origin in Spain.
The European Sustainable Wines campaign, which has begun in 2020, will last 3 years and will focus on the markets of China, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore and Vietnam.
Campaign financed by the European Union
This ambitious project is financed by the Multi-Programme CHAFEA (Consumers, Health, Agriculture and Food Executive Agency) and is under Regulation (EU) No 1144/2014 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 22 October 2014 on information provision and promotional measures for agricultural products on the internal market and in third countries
The main objectives to be achieved are the following:
- To increase the knowledge of the wines with Protected Designation of Origin (PDO) in Europe in the target markets.
- To make known and emphasise sustainable European wines in these markets.
Protected Designations of Origin
Protected Designations of Origin (PDO) recognise and certify a differentiated quality in a product, which is the result of its own distinctive characteristics, due to the geographical environment in which the raw materials are produced, the products are made and also the influence of the human factor involved.
Alongside the different institutions that form this campaign, are the following PDOs (with their acronyms in Italian):
- Consorzio Tutela Vini d’Abruzzo consortium:
- Montepulciano d’Abruzzo DOC
- Trebbiano d’Abruzzo DOC
- Cerasuolo d’Abruzzo DOC
- Abruzzo DOC
- Villamagna DOC
- Barbera d’Asti e Vini del Monferrato consortium:
- Albugnano DOC
- Barbera d’Asti DOCG
- Cortese dell’Alto Monferrato DOC
- Dolcetto d’Asti DOC
- Freisa d’Asti DOC
- Grignolino d’Asti DOC
- Loazzolo DOC
- Malvasia di Castelnuovo Don Bosco DOC
- Monferrato DOC
- Nizza DOCG
- Piedmont DOC
- Ruchè di Castagnole Monferrato DOCG
- Terre Alfieri DOCG
- Regulatory Board of the La Mancha Designation of Origin:
- D.O. La Mancha